Wednesday, April 25, 2012

LAngaUge


When starting the assignement I found it rather easy, but after a certain amount of time it becomes rather difficult, because you run out of how to do things and one might become fusturating because your trying to say something and cant get it across, and even when you speak sometimes the other person still might not understand or they do but then they are going to just have there own feeling about it. Within the aloted time it defintley became more difficult but it was rather fun and very intresting.

I think that at first it was rather funny and then as time had went on again it gets rather fusturating trying to communitcate. The impressions varied from easy where you knew what the person was trying ot say to difficult cause what you thought and what they were trying to tell you were almost oppisite.i feel that they definitley altered the way ther communicated with me because the lack of symbolic communication, you have to inorder to carry a conversation, meaning to grasp what is said and to asnwer.

If two different cultuers were meeting for the first time , I would say that the one that might have the advantage might be who is more literal and educated to interpet language, rather then someone who is less intellectual. But then again it can go another way cause some cultures have there own way of cummincating that we might not understand so they talk just not how we perseve how we talk today. The attitudes that one might have toward the culture that doesnt use symbollic language might be a good attitude depending on the situation. Meaning the way one might interpet a particular situatution considering everyone is different. The only ones that I can see that hae difficulties is people who can not hear, some of them sign, some of then have interpiters, other just read lips. It becomes rather difficult at times to communicate. Again some of them have learned ot deal with it, since they have dealt with it for so long, were others havent. Or they are just starting to. As far as someone who with more intellect, personally I can say sometimes I even have trouble speaking to someone because they use terminology that I dont understand so I have to stop and ask and sometimes tha tis embarassing. But other times if I dont ask then I really just say ok or answer or talk the best way I can. No matter how we all look at it we really dont know and im sure its really hard and rather difficult for anyone to deal with. I know my dad is loosing his hearing and he can read lips but someitmes he thinks he hears something that its not there or when talking to him he will then make something up that has nothing to do with what yo are trying to say. Its crazy at times. But we all learned to deal with it. Thats why I talk very loud.



Part 2

No I was not able to last for the full fifteen minutes. Because its rather hard not to talk with my hands, or any facial expressions. Since thats something I do on a daily basis. For me not to do that was really difficult.

Everyone found it diffrerent, some people easier then others, A few found it as hard as I did. Reason being, some knew how to communicate other ways rather like for me it was difficult since I talk with my hands all the time. I am a very expressionast person. My other friends managed, it was a very unique but inresting assignment.

I feel that it definitley says a lot about signs. Meaning that when doing this assignment you take a lot into account, you may think that it will be easy but as time goes on it becomes more and more difficuly. It is defintley really improtant for non language speeck techniques to be avaliabe in our cummicative ways.

I am sure that there are a lot of people that find it diffiuclt to read body language. But then again everyone is different and they interpt things differently. The adaptive beneiit to the ability to ready body langauge is a greagt deal considering you can communicate with someone else,know what they are saying or they know what you are syaing. Enviormental conditions where there might benfit to not reading body language....off the top of my head I cant really think of any place. But I am sure that there are places out there.

Part 3
Yes I would think that it would have been a lot easier if we could of used written language because it would have made it a lot easier to communicate.

It provides a way of understanding.

The impact that is has on “globalization” I would pressume that the way we talk and interpet comes and goes along way throughout time.






5 comments:

  1. I too found it extrememly hard for the second part as I am a person that talks with my hands. Until this experiment, I didn't realize how much my hands move (or try to move) during conversations. Before reading you post, I assumed everyone had trouble with the second part; but you are right it may have been okay for others because talking with hands and different voice tones may not be used in a normal conversation for them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed how you brought in your own personal experiences with your dad and tied it in with what you experienced in the experiment. Well done on that.

    Just to clarify, your partners didn't need to not speak/use no body language. If that is how you ran the experiment, it made it doubly hard for you?

    No benefit at all to not reading body language? Is there any a time when body language might mislead you or distract you, or perhaps circumstances where body language means different things that you might misinterpret?

    Section three needed to be expanded.

    Just a couple of editing suggestions. Make sure your text is bright enough for my ancient eyes to read! :-) The other thing that would benefit you is to make sure your run your post through a spell-check real quick before publishing. You had some interesting ideas but errors drew my attention from them. Otherwise, good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really enjoyed being able to tie my personal experiance into it. The reason why i had my partner do what i had to do is so that they understood whati had to do, especially how hard it was . although we did have some laughs cuase it was rather fusturating. Sorry about not writting enought for section three. I will change the color next time. im not sure how to really work the blogger site completley i am still learning. And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Vanessa in that as time went on, it became more frustrating to continue to try to communicate, either without verbal communication or physical embellishments. I guess the saying 'you never really appreciate what you have until it's gone' applies greatly to this experiment. I for one never truly realized just how much I rely on my physical expressions in order to intensify how I am feeling, or just in aiding the message that I am trying to relay. This experiment however showed me just how lost I would feel without it. In thinking about two separate cultures meeting for the first time, I would assume that both cultures would experience the same amount of frustration, if not more, that we did in trying to communicate without the use of verbal or written language.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how I looked at it. I approached it as this assignment is going to be too easy, but when I actually did part 1, it was hard to communicate and not respond. Yeah, i also found it frustrating as we began to go into the conversation.

    ReplyDelete